FleishmanHillard is one of the largest PR firms in the world and is consistently ranked among the top five earning firms in the US. It is owned by parent company Omnicom.
Annual Income from Fees 2017: $570,000,000
Annual Income from Fees 2012: $546,000,000
In 2011, the American Petroleum Institute hired FleishmanHillard to work on their Energy from Shale project, a pro-fracking campaign with, at the time, unclear backing. The “supporting organizations” page on their archived website shows API’s logo, but mixes it in with many other oil and gas companies and trade associations, making it unclear how these entities support Energy from Shale. Since being hired by API in 2011, FH has received a total $96.6 million from the trade association. FH did not appear as a contractor on API’s 2017 990 tax form, suggesting that API ended their contract with the firm.
2018 Climate Survey Response
FleishmanHillard responded to our 2018 climate survey by deferring to their parent company Omnicom’s 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report. The Omnicom report does not detail any of their policies on whether they accept clients with anti-environmental agendas or clients that promote climate change denial.
We reached out to Omnicom directly and they responded on behalf of all of their subsidiaries:
2014 Climate Survey Response
Did not respond.
Clients and Campaigns
- American Petroleum Institute (2011-2015) – FleishmanHillard was paid $4 million in 2011, $22.8 million in 2012 and $23.9 million in 2013 according to API’s 990 forms filed with the IRS. Ad Age on launch of fracking campaign in 2011.
- American Petroleum Institute (2015) – “Energy From Shale” campaign with television ads: Geologist ad Café ad
- Natural Gas Industry (2012) – Canadian campaign
- Canadian Government (2014) – Hired by the Canadian government to promote tar sands with a $22 million engagement campaign.
- Friends of Science (2006) DeSmogBlog “Failing to question the sources of climate change denial isn’t fair to citizens concerned about climate change” A Fleishmann-Hillard PR fixer has been making arrangements for Dr. Tim Ball, funded by Canadian non-profit advocacy organization “Friends of Science,” to campaign in Canada’s capital against climate change action and to promote skepticism of global warming.
- National Association of Manufacturers (2008) – In 2008, FleishmanHillard worked for the National Association of Manufacturers under a $402,500 contract.